Thursday, February 23, 2012

Done!

...with chemo at least.
   No Taxol #12 this week. The numbness has stayed about the same, but he kept asking if I was having pains in my fingers, as if that was going to determine whether or not I had the last treatment. Then again, for the last 6 weeks, he kept asking if I was still able to button buttons and tie shoelaces without problems (two completely avoidable tasks) as if THAT would determine whether to continue treatments. He did acknowledge the issues I've been having typing on my phone or a keyboard for the past few weeks (much more important!).
   Thankfully, he let me stop so I'm officially done with chemo! And I'm two weeks out from the last treatment, so I've been feeling much better. I even got on my exercise bike last night, since my legs were already sore (thanks to a combination of six months of not moving, some leftover Taxol side effects, and those flu-like symptoms associated with Herceptin). But after about 20 minutes, my feet went numb. So I'm really glad we didn't push those last two Taxols. Hopefully all this numbness and tingling will start to go away, along with these other crappy side effects. My skin's started cracking and peeling because it's so dry. I'm still waiting for my constantly runny/bloody nose to get better. The hair on my head's definitely grown out at least an inch, but it's mostly on the top and in the back. My forehead looks huge now because most of the hair in the front has thinned or fallen out. I still haven't shaved my armpits or my legs in weeks, which is nice and all, but my eyebrows are disappearing too, so I could use some hair growth. My chest pain mostly went away last week, but in the last few days, my shoulder starting hurting again, but this time on the left side. I've been popping ibuprofen and that seems to help.
   The nurses printed off a copy of my blood counts (since I actually remembered this time), and they're slowly going back up. My hemoglobin was 9.7 and platelets went up to 127 (almost normal). But then I noticed the "Gender" on the printout says "Male". I know I don't have as many female hormones running through my body anymore and I'm about to get my boobs cut off, but seriously? They fixed it right away, but I wonder how long it's been like that and if it's affected anything...
   I also called Dr. K's office last week to reschedule my surgery. It's now for Tuesday, March 20, and I have a pre-op appointment in two weeks for any last-minute questions. I really don't think it'll be that bad, since they aren't ripping out any lymph nodes this time, and especially in comparison to six months of chemo hell (most of which is a blur thankfully). I'm just ready to be done with all this.
   I'm still getting the Herceptin, but now it's every three weeks, so my next appointment isn't for a while. My next MUGA heart scan is scheduled for February 6th. Speaking of never-ending appointments, we had to reschedule the one for the dogs, but Zeus hasn't been chewing on his feet lately, and instead has been getting into the trash and tearing everything up to occupy himself. Guess that's a trade-off?
   And Skye's still fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment