We saw Dr. B today. The nurse who took my vital signs asked what my real age was, because she didn't believe I was only 22. At least someone thought I was older and not younger this time, especially with this new flat chest.
I was really hoping with the reduction in the tumor size from chemo and the clean margins and the low grade that I would be able to skip radiation. But since the cancer was still there after chemo, there could be other cells in that area. And since chemo got delayed/reduced so much because of all the side effects, even Dr. C recommends I get radiation. So Dr. B has a definite decision now, and I'm going to get 28 treatments or 5 and a half weeks.
She said she's not going to radiate the lymph nodes in my armpit, since they were all removed, but she's going to do the whole breast area and the lymph nodes above my collarbone. Some possible side effects: skin thickening, a permanently darkened/reddened area, greater propensity to rib fractures, some minimal lung damage, and, rarely, secondary cancers. And the hair might not grow back in that area, which is the only good thing I see about all this. With the costochondritis at least, she said that the patients who develop it during treatment usually get better after treatments end, and that if it is an inflammatory issue, the radiation might actually make it better by killing off the white blood cells in that area.
She says if I don't get radiation I might not even be around later to worry about a local recurrence. And if all of my doctors are recommending I do it, surely it's for my benefit. We're waiting until after my graduation at least, and I'll start Monday, May 21st, after we get back.
I'm really bummed out, but this is just cancer being crappy as usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment