Monday, September 26, 2011

Chemo Delayed Again

   As much as I didn't want to get chemo today, I'd rather have just gotten it over with. But my counts were too low again, so I should be getting the last Adriamycin round next Monday instead. They drew the extra bloodwork to send off for the genetic testing. I saw the genetics counselor last Tuesday, and she explained what the results of the P53 gene testing will mean. It's called Li-Fraunemi Syndrome, which basically means the tumor suppressor gene in the body's cells doesn't work right, and that I'd be more prone to multiple cancers in my lifetime. So if I have it, no radiation and more annual screenings hoping to catch stuff early. However, it wouldn't explain Aplastic Anemia. I asked her what happens if this test comes back negative, and she said then they've just hit a wall with what to look for and they'd stop testing me altogether. But we got all the bloodwork and paperwork together and sent it off today, so we'll get those results back in four weeks.
   Two different nurses took my blood pressure today because it was so low (88/60), but Dr. C said he wasn't concerned considering how small I am. I also lost a few pounds, but it's kind of hard to eat much when everything tastes so bad. I asked him about the black line on my nail and he said that's from chemo. He did a physical exam to check the tumor, but it's basically gone now. Which is good, the chemo's working (can I stop now?). I told him how nauseous I was last week, and he said if it happens again to come in and they can shoot something into my port to help.
   I got a copy of my blood counts since he told me they were low, and my hemoglobin was 8.1 and my platelets were only 66, which explains the bruises on my feet from the dogs stepping on them. I just hope my counts come back up at all considering my past medical problems...
   My new chemo schedule might interfere with our travel plans, but hopefully they can do a Friday chemo or something instead of a Monday if needed. But Dr. C OKed air travel, so I get to go to Portland November 9-12 for the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. I applied for a scholarship back in April and found out in August that I didn't qualify, but was on a waiting list instead. Someone from the Anita Borg Institute called me last week to ask me if I was going since I hadn't registered yet and the deadline was that night. Turns out I did get the scholarship, but not the second email informing me that I'd gotten the scholarship. But I'm registered now and just need to buy the plane tickets (to be reimbursed later). It's nice having something to look forward to that isn't cancer-related.

No comments:

Post a Comment