We saw the oncologist today. I'm starting chemo August 8th. Since my cancer is lymph node positive, Dr. C said they have to use an aggressive treatment, since the cancer cells have shown they can spread to other parts of the body. I'm getting a bone scan next Friday to make sure it hasn't gotten into my bones (they already checked my lungs with a chest xray and my liver from bloodwork). I'm also getting a heart test done Tuesday to make sure my heart muscle can handle all the crap they're about to pump into it. And to add to all the fun, he wants a bone marrow biopsy to see how robust my bone marrow is after all my aplastic anemia treatments. Unfortunately, I have to be conscious for it since they don't have the proper equipment nearby for anesthesia. They said they'll give me something to sedate me and I really hope it's something good.
The chemo's going to be in two phases. The first one is Adriamycin and Cytoxan by IV once every 2 weeks for a total of four treatments. The day after each treatment I'm supposed to get an "antidote" (yea they're definitely poisoning me) of Neulasta which will stimulate my white blood cells so I'll be well enough in two weeks for the next round. The problem is I've had shots from the aplastic anemia treatment (Neupogen) that did the same thing and gave me really bad bone pain. Since the Neulasta is given once and lasts two weeks, Dr. C suggested I get the shots individually instead so at least if my bones start hurting, we can stop it right away. We just have to see if the insurance will cover it.
Phase II is Taxol by IV once a week for 12 weeks. Dr. C says this drug is much easier to tolerate than the first two, but will still keep my hair from growing (I'll be bald about 2 1/2 weeks after the A/C treatment in Phase I). I'll also start Herceptin at the same time, by IV once a week for 12 weeks. After those twelve weeks, I'll get it every 3 weeks for 9 months. Since the cancer is HER 2 positive (15-25% of breast cancers are), the Herceptin works as an antibody (?).
Once I'm done with the poison sessions, I'll start Tamoxifen, a small pill once a day for 5 years. Since my cancer's estrogen-receptor positive and progesterone-receptor positive (66% of breast cancers), the anti-estrogen is supposed to help stop feeding it hormones, but it could put me at risk for premature menopause (at 21? Seriously...?). I will also have my surgery after the chemo, with the choice of a bilateral mastectomy (take them both off) or lumpectomy (just take out what's left of the tumor). Dr. C did say that by keeping my breasts, I would have a slightly higher chance of either the original cancer coming back as a local recurrence or a new breast cancer showing up, since breast tissue would still remain. Considering my luck already, I really think it'd be better to have the bilateral mastectomy. At least I'd get new boobs out of this mess. And maybe I could avoid having my left lymph nodes ripped out because the right side still really hurts. Either way, I still need radiation after surgery because my lymph nodes were positive. That'll be for 5 1/2 weeks Monday through Friday.
I'm still getting the drain taken out next Thursday. A nurse came by yesterday and today to check it and the dressing. She said everything looks good, no swelling or bruising surprisingly. I'm too creeped out to look. The stuff coming out is starting to turn yellow, which is good. Only six more days til I can shower! Eww..
No comments:
Post a Comment