Monday, August 29, 2011

Change of Plans

   We went for round two of chemo today, but my platelets were only at 91. Dr. C said the one study shows that it's most effective to give the A/C chemo combination every 2 weeks, but that there were two other arms that it followed. One was just to do the combo every 3 weeks, though slightly less effective. And the other was to split the A and the C parts, and do them separately every 2 weeks, which is more effective than the three weeks schedule. So we're going to try that, since we kind of don't have many other options. I had my second round of (only) the Adriamycin today (along with anti-nausea meds and steroids). This'll just prolong my chemo, and estimated surgery date, but the side effects should decrease. I'm still starting to feel nauseous though, and my legs hurt, and I'm tired, and that really gross taste in my mouth is coming back. But other than that I'm fine. I'm going in tomorrow to get the single Neulasta shot instead of the 10 individual shots. And then we're going to hopefully do the 3rd round of the Adriamycin two weeks from now.
 
Updates from last week that I missed:

  • We had an earthquake Tuesday. The house shook and scared the crap out of me, but there wasn't any serious damage.
  • Hurricane Irene hit Saturday night/Sunday morning. The power went out around 2 AM and didn't come back on until today around 2 PM. It was terrible.
  • The in-laws are visiting in two weeks and bringing Kyle's super fat dogs. 
  • I had a post-surgery follow-up with Dr. K Thursday. Everything looks fine, and I made appointments with radiation oncology to see if I need radiation after chemo and with their new in-house plastic surgeon, Dr. P, to find out about getting new boobs later. 
  • Kyle and I shaved each other's heads Thursday night. My hair started coming out in clumps Tuesday and was getting EVERYWHERE, so we kind of needed to do it. Walmart finally brought out winter hats though so I stocked up, because my head feels cold all the time now. But it's nice and round (thanks Mommy!), and I keep thinking of that episode of Roseanne where Jackie's rolling the baby to keep his head from getting a flat spot.


1 comment:

  1. that last part seriously made me laugh... i know a girl with a baby who has a major flat head.

    ReplyDelete